When planning your perfect day.. think Local! Our sensational menu is full of locally grown and cultivated products that would be perfect for your destination wedding in Charlottesville. We offer full-service event planning and our chef can custom design a menu that is suitable for any budget.
Please look at our Menu's tab for more information about our services.
Best Local Wedding Caterer
Best Local Wedding Caterer
Best Local Wedding Caterer
The Local is constantly growing: we have recently expanded our services to where we can now provide off-site food and beverage catering. Our sensational menu is full of locally grown and cultivated products that would be perfect for your destination wedding in Charlottesville.
The Local strives to be a venue that showcases the abundant supply of small farmers, artisan cheese makers, breweries, distilleries and award winning vineyards located in Charlottesville and the surrounding areas. Living in Charlottesville, we are truly blessed to have such a wide variety of agriculture readily accessible and a local population so willing to support the local food movement. With our catering, we can offer full-service event planning and work with you on the details of your event to make your vision become a reality. We are extremely flexible, and there is no event too big or too small, as we have catered events ranging from 10 people to 300 people. Matthew Hart, our executive chef, can custom design a menu that is suitable for any budget. Our dedication to customer service will make your experience one of a kind. Thanks for your consideration and we hope to see you at The Local!
Here are samples of menu items we offer below. However, we love to customize our wedding menus so that each client has their "dream wedding" menu. Please contact Courtney or Kobi to set up a complimentary tasting and here more about what the Local has to offer!
- Tuscan White Bean Bruschetta with Shaved Parmesan and Truffle Oil
- House Made Mozzarella with Local Heirloom Tomatoes and Garden Basil
- House Made Mozzarella with VA Country Ham and Roast Peppers Bruschetta
- Port Wine Poached Pears with Gorgonzola and Walnuts
- Enoki and Shitake Mushroom Dumplings with Basil, Cilantro, Mint, and a Thai Dipping Sauce
- Blackened “Timber Creek Organics” Chicken with Caesar Vinaigrette on Parmesan Frico
- Southwestern Chicken Salad Wraps – Local Chicken with Cilantro and Roast Poblanos in a Virginia-grown Boston Lettuce Wrap
- Thai Summer Rolls with Mint, Basil, and Shrimp
- VA Country Ham with Local Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
- Barbecued Braised “Ayreshire Farms” Local Short Ribs on Cornbread Crostini
- Local Bacon-Wrapped Dates
- Tuna Tartar with Pickled Ginger-Black Sesame Aioli on Wonton Crisp and topped with Wasabi Tobiko Caviar
- Bay Scallop Ceviche with Plantain Chips
- Shrimp and Crab Claw Cocktail with Fresh Horseradish Cocktail Sauce
- Salmon Cakes with Dilled Crème Fraiche (May Be Topped with Caviar)
- “Crab Cake Sandwich” – Miniature Crab Cakes served Open Faced on Fresh Baked Bread with House Made Tartar
- Asian Inspired Tuna Cakes with Ginger, Scallion, and Garlic served with Sambal Aioli
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Artichoke Leaves stuffed with Shrimp, Fennel, and Local “Mountain View” Feta Cheese
- Eggplant Crisps with Oven Dried Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella, and Garden Herbs
- Endive Spears with Spiced Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto and Phyllo
- Baked Lady Apples Stuffed with Braised Pork and Celeriac Slaw
- Steak Au Poivre Crostini with Horseradish Crème Fraiche
- Grilled Shiitake Mushrooms on Rosemary Skewers with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic
- Thai Marinated Local “Timber Creek Organics” Chicken Skewers with Coconut-Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Deviled Eggs with Crème Fraiche and Caviar
- Maryland Crab Dip with Bread Sticks and Crackers
Platters come in Small, Medium, and Large sizes. Small platters serve approximately 25 people, Medium platters serve approximately 50 people, & Large platters serve approximately 75 people.
- Antipasto Platter of Sliced Meats, Olives, Crostini, & Seasonal Garniture
- Local Cheese Platter – A Selection of Virginias Finest Artisanal-made Cheeses Served with Bread, Apples, Grapes, & Other Seasonal Garniture
- Meat & Cheese Platter – A Combination Platter Featuring Local & Imported Cheeses, Assorted Meats, & all the Appropriate Seasonal Garniture
- Shrimp & Crab Claw Tower – Steamed Jumbo Shrimp & Crab Claws Served with Cocktail Sauce
- Oyster Tower – Seasonal Oysters Served with All the Appropriate Garniture (May Be Topped with Caviar)
- Local Vegetable Crudités with a Flavorful Trio of Dipping Sauces
- Sesame Noodles with Scallions, Soy, & Ginger Greek Salad with Local “Caromont Farm” Raw Goats Milk Feta, Pepperoncinis, Heirloom Tomatoes, "Planet Earth Diversified" Cucumbers, & Kalamata Olives
- Local “Planet Earth Diversified” Mixed Greens with Port Wine Poached Pears, Stilton Cheese, Walnuts, & an Aged Sherry Vinaigrette
- Locally Grown Mixed Lettuces, Pickled Asian Vegetables, Wonton Crisps & a Yuzu Vinaigrette
- Caesar Salad – Local Romaine Lettuce*, Croutons, House Made Dressing, & a Parmesan Frico
- Penne Pasta with Local “Caromont Farm” Raw Milk Feta, Kalamata Olives, & Roasted Red Peppers Tossed with a Basil Vinaigrette
- Tabouli Salad with Fresh Garden Mint, Bulgur, & Lemon
- Wild Rice Salad with Local “Caromont” Goat Cheese & Pecans *Local Romaine when in season & available
- Mussels Romesco – Sautéed Mussels with Spanish Chorizo & a White Wine, Tomato, Garlic, Paprika & Red Pepper Sauce, Topped with Grilled Bread and a Garlicky Aioli
- Local “Double H Farm” Italian Sausage over Creamy Polenta with Fresh Tomato Sauce, Aged Balsamic, & Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Crispy Shrimp with Pickled Ginger-Black Sesame Aioli Local Beef & Pork Empanada with “Caromont” Goat Cheese, Lime Crema, & Local Heirloom Tomato Relish
- Burrata Cheese, Local Heirloom Tomatoes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grilled Bread, Garden Basil
- Oysters on the Half Shell with Tabasco “Caviar,” Spanish Chili, & a Mixed Green Salad
- Sicilian Meatballs Made with Local Beef Served with Arrabbiata Sauce
- Housemade Gnocchi tossed with Braised Local Beef, a Garlic-Tomato Sauce, & Parmesan Cheese
- Truffled Mushroom Ragout, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, & Parmesan Cheese served with Fresh Housemade Fettuccine
- Seasonal Vegetable Pasta Served with a White Wine Cream Sauce & Fresh Housemade Fettuccine
- Black Truffle Mac-n-Cheese Macaroni & Shaved Black Truffles Tossed with a Creamy Local Cheddar Cheese Sauce & Topped with Parmesan
- Maryland Style Crab Cakes with Corn Salad, Old Bay Hollandaise, & Seasonal Vegetables
- Local “Timber Creek Organics” Half Chicken in a Pomegranate-Horseradish Glaze with Mashed Potatoes & a Poppy Seed Slaw
- Beef Tenderloin topped with Blue Cheese & a Red Wine Sauce Served with Mashed Potatoes & Seasonal Vegetables
- Local “Double H Farm” Berkshire Pork Chop, Chile Rubbed, Grilled & Served with Mashed Potatoes, Shoestring Sweet Potatoes, & a Chipotle, Adobo Gravy
- Local “Buffalo Creek Beef” Beef Short Ribs Braised with Red Wine & Veal Stock and Served with Mashed Potatoes, Glazed Carrots & Pearl Onions
- Local “Rag Mountain” Trout Stuffed with Spanish Chorizo and Parmesan, Papas Bravas, Toasted Almond Aioli, Fennel Salad, & Guindilla Chili
- Pan Seared Duck Breast with Blood Orange Gastrique, Mashed Potatoes, and Local Braised Greens
- Wild King Salmon with Asian Sauces, Noodle Salad, & Local Radish & Scallion Salad with Yuzu Vinaigrette
- Sesame Crusted Sushi-grade Tuna Loin served with a Balsamic Teriyaki Sauce, Rice Pilaf, & a Citrus Slaw
- Local “Ayershire Farms” Rib-eye Steak with Truffled Mashed Potatoes, Red Wine, & Exotic Mushroom Sauce, & a Seasonal Vegetable Garniture
- Steak Frites - Grilled New York Strip Steak with a Gorgonzola & Artichoke Cream Sauce Served with Housemade French Fries & Seasonal Vegetables
- Meatloaf Wrapped in Bacon, Made with Local Ground Beef, Honey BBQ Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, & Seasonal Vegetables
- Blackberry Cobbler with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Local Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Brownie Sundae – House Made Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream, Housemade Hot Fudge, Whipped Cream, & Toasted Nuts
- Banana Split - Caramelized Bananas Topped with Vanilla Ice Cream, Drizzled Chocolate, Whipped Cream, & Almonds
- Lemon Curd with Fresh Berries & an Autumn Olive Berry Coulis
The Local can provide full-service event planning and day-of services. Courtney Hildebrand and Helen Osinga, The Local Restaurant and Catering's Event Coordinators, will work with you to plan your whole event from budget to decor. Feel free to call them!
"We loved the food at The Local restaurant, so we were excited to have them cater our wedding. The food options were extensive and diverse, and The Local made sure we had gluten free options (for the bride) and helped assist other guests with food allergies. I am still dreaming about the chicken from our tasting session, and our guests are still raving about the food from the reception! Our catering coordinator walked us through our tasting, and came with us to our meeting with the rentals company, helping us weave our way through all the linens and flatware and glasses. We could have brought in our own alcohol, but we opted for the open bar package offered by The Local due to its very competitive pricing. We also chose to pay extra and have the caterer serve as our day-of coordinator. This was money well spent! Helen was kind and helpful, and saw to each and every one of our requests, from set up to take down. She is the only reason we actually got to eat our own wedding food, as she thoughtfully prepared plates and had them at our seats right when we sat down. She also sent us home with leftover boxes, which was a thoughtful touch, and much appreciated. Our only problem was that they forgot to serve our sundae bar dessert, but they recognized this and it didn't end up on the final bill."
"We chose the Local as our caterer for two reasons: the amazing food and the fact that the restaurant was the site of our first date night after we moved to Charlottesville. The food at our wedding was fantastic, and we are still receiving compliments on it. We can't recommend their salmon, steak, and truffle mac n cheese enough! Throughout the entire process, the local staff (especially Helen) was extremely easy to work with and responsive to any questions that we had. We would recommend them to anyone looking for a great caterer, and are happy that we still get to enjoy our wedding food when we head to their restaurant on date night!"
"Amazing doesn't do it justice. The food is incredible. It's high quality, farm to table southern comfort food. Courtney was absolutely incredible to work with. She coordinated so well with our venue and she worked within our budget. She made sure my husband and I had plates of food so we were able to focus on saying hello to our guests - I never understood how important this was. I truly cannot recommend The Local enough. Staff and food is truly 5 star. We also had our rehearsal dinner at The Local. It was INCREDIBLE!"
"The food was delicious. So delicious. Perhaps one of my favorite memories of our wedding was sitting on the floor of our room in the Boars Head Inn with our to go leftovers from the event (never knew meatloaf could taste so good) and an amazing bottle of wine they had sent over with us. The service was great- no lines at the bar, pass arounds were bountiful and they set up the venue in a splendid fashion."
"We had a very mixed experience. The Local served as our venue, catering group, and we spent extra for a coordinator through them. The venue was great for our budget and desires. The food itself was delicious and people were very complimentary, and since food was #1 on our "must" list that was important. The presentation was completely different than what we'd explicitly agreed upon, the timing was over an hour later than what we'd planned, and many things weren't even served with the utensils necessary to eat them. Whether this fell on the chef's group or the coordinator, I'm unsure of the technicalities, but regardless The Local was the provider. We had incredibly bad service that day and when we brought it up with them some of our costs were refunded, but in my mind it wasn't equal to the sadness it lent to the day. I'd recommend their services for catering because I have many friends who used them at other sites and without their coordination. I wouldn't recommend them as a coordinating service and am unsure about what parts of our issues were related to their restaurant being the venue."
"I cannot say enough good things about The Local and working with them for our spring wedding at Grace Estate Winery in May. The food was incredible, so delicious, and worthy of numerous comments from our guests throughout the evening – but the best part about choosing The Local (in my opinion) is their event coordinators & staff. The Local has a team of extremely talented people that care about their clients and making your big day absolutely perfect. Helen & Justice (our event coordinators) went above and beyond to make sure the planning process was smooth and painless and that our wedding reception went off without a hitch. When I started searching for caterers in Charlottesville, I felt a little overwhelmed by all of the choices and then a little frustrated by all of the ones that took soo long to respond to my inquiry. Finally, I found The Local and received a very prompt response from Helen – It was clear she had taken the time to read my inquiry and was already sending me ideas that fit my wants, needs, and budget. I was sold on The Local immediately and it was the best decision! The Local has a great selection of choices when it comes to food and if they don’t serve something you have in mind, they’re very willing to try new things! I don’t think they had ever served a mashed potato bar before but Helen made it happen (it was the bomb!). The tasting is a great opportunity to try their food, get a sense for their cooking style & quality, and leave for home feeling fat and happy! Helen & Justice were so hands on, patient, responsive, and just a fun people to work with. I was so nervous at first about planning the catering for our wedding but they made me feel calm & confident throughout the whole process. They were always available for a phone call or open to meeting in Charlottesville – like for the tasting and even a walk through at the venue days before the wedding. Final words – You will not regret choosing The Local!"
"Our guests had such great things to say about the food at our wedding, many thanks to The Local. From multiple tastings to modifying menu items to fit our guest list, we couldn't have asked for a better meal or execution. "
"Our food was AMAZING. We still get comments about it from friends and family. The Local was fantastic about meeting our needs, creating a menu that really represented us and delivering it on our big day. Also - We also used them for dessert (in lieu of a cake) which was amazing! I would highly recommend them!"
"The Local is so DELICIOUS! We used them for both the rehearsal dinner and the wedding. Everything we sampled was delicious! They were extremely easy to work with and very courteous. Every time I am in Charlottesville, VA I stop in for dinner!"
" We had our rehearsal dinner and wedding catered by The Local and we cannot rave enough about the food!! Our friends and family still talk about how good both meals were. The rehearsal at The Local was the perfect venue and we had our own private room. Our wedding was a plated dinner for 80 at Keswick Vineyards and not only was the food amazing, the service was seamless and fast! I've been to plenty of weddings where the food is just ok, but every guest at ours raved. Courtney and all of the staff were incredibly friendly and worked with us on the menu to make sure we got everything we wanted and worked around a few food allergies as well. I love that by using a restaurant, we can come back to visit for many anniversaries to come! :) Thank you again to Courtney & everyone at The Local - you made our wedding perfect!"
"Courtney is the bomb.com. She was so flexible and had such great visions that I felt totally at ease having her also be my coordinator. The food is some of the best that this town has to offer and my guests had nothing but great comments about the tenderloin. "
"How could anyone go wrong with The Local catering! Their buffet display is unique and different and also brought character to the table. There were so many delicious options for food that it was hard to to pick just the select food. Their chefs/catering staff are very professional and easy to work with. "
"The Local was the star of our wedding! Everyone raved about the food. Besides just getting the basics right, they were absolutely perfect on their service. We had a buffet, but they had servers get plates for me and my husband, check on us for drink refils, and so much more. Right before the wedding, I was starting to get nervous and, combined with an empty stomach, a little sick. Kobi from The Local made me a whole plate to hold me over until dinner. It was so amazing to see them go out of their way to make the night perfect and thoughtless for us. I honestly could not have asked them for anything more. "
"Crystal (the event coordinator) and Matthew (the head chef) worked with us in what was a new endeavor for them at the time. The food was incredible and is still talked about today. The local is still one of our favorite restaurants and being able to have their food at our event was a real treat"