B&B > Wedding Venues > Plantations > Wingate Plantation

    Wingate Plantation

    Wingate Plantation in US

    Wingate Plantation was part of the colonial Brick House Plantation of Johns Island. English authority initially granted the plantation in 1707 to Robert Cole and William Taylor. The plantation was later purchased by John Stanyarne. The Stanyarne family constructed their residence of brick on the banks of Abbapoola Creek, this is where the name “Brick House” originated. The plantation remained in the Stanyarne family until 1837, when Charlestonian Benjamin Dart Roper purchased the plantation from the Stanyarne family. The Roper family resided on the property and produced sea island cotton for several decades. The plantation fell into disrepair following the Civil War, and the land was divided into parcels and sold. In 1950, the original brick house was demolished.

    Wingate Plantation represents the largest, undeveloped, intact parcel of the original plantation. The farmhouse on the property dates back to the 1930’s, when it was constructed by the Jenkins family. During the twentieth century, vegetables and small grains were produced on Wingate Plantation. Currently, the plantation is managed for timber and wildlife.

    Address
    3850 River Rd, Johns Island, SC 29455
    Max. Capacity
    200 or more
    Ceremony Site
    Yes
    Outside Catering
    Yes
    In-House Catering
    No
    Request Pricing